Monday, April 14, 2008

"...and so am I."

I think I might give all my posts titles with the latest DW quote stuck in my head. The Fires of Pompeii was pretty damn good and we finally got to see it today. But first, Edinburgh....

Traveling there was about as pleasant as it could be with a hyper-active four-year-old in tow. Guest house was very pleasant and I left the boys there while I dashed off through the rain to the first session of the meeting which was actually entertaining. No, don't laugh. I abandoned the ICFTists to meet the family for dinner and after a few failed attempts at finding a pub that would allow the Terror in (cursed licensing laws!) we went to Bella Italia. Home from home...

Saturday was a mixed day - dashed off to talks after breakfast and got more and more depressed as the morning went on. Felt like a fraud. Well, I doubt I'll ever be able to stand up in front of thirty people and give an audible talk - let alone an intelligible one. Apart from anything else, I barely understand my own work, let alone know how to explain it to other people. Probably why the thesis is taking its time appearing. But I slowly picked up afterwards, meeting the boys for lunch and a tour of the Camera Obscura and the highlights of Edinburgh Castle - Mons Meg and the Honours mostly. Then we had a very pleasant meal at Deacon Brodie's where Daddy tried haggis and loved it and the deserts were divine. The Terror had cheesy pasta for the second day running, but never mind - he was on holiday. To top the day off, I managed to get the Terror in bed in time for me to watch the first episode of Pushing Daisies. I'll have to see if I can retune our TV to actually receive ITV on more than an intermittent basis. Although the news that they're apparently dropping one episode purely because they only have an eight week slot does nothing to improve the channel in my estimation. *HEADDESK*

Sunday was nice too. We dragged the Terror up Arthur's Seat, although he did a suprising amount of walking/clambering himself. Then we went and bought my birthday present and a kilt for Daddy and eventually made our way home. The train was less crowded than on Friday, so the Terror could have his own seat and he went to bed far too late for someone of his age.

Today we watched Doctor Who. And I think that's where we came in....

No comments: