Friday, July 11, 2008

Write something every day

Well it would be better if it was on my thesis, or even a story or something, anything, less self-indulgent than a blog post. But I've got to start somewhere. And who knows, maybe someone will read this....

Been rubbish few days. Rain hasn't helped. Occasionally my son being awesome and funny has, and making time to do the squelchy with my pseudo-husband looses all those feel-good endorphins which of course helps. Having someone as annoyingly logical as said SO around to combat those negative thoughts is also useful. But I still feel rubbish. Even after writing a whole sentence (which will have to be edited as it, frankly, sucks) on actual work. No really, it happens. I have the file open every day and I look at it and try desperately to concentrate on what needs to be said about "birdtrackery" and R-matrices and all that. And then I go and continue to read through the archives of Paul Cornell's blog and play Scrabulous on Facebook and stuff. At least that way I cry less. At least to start with. Then half five comes and I realise I've wasted another day....

The Terror had his visit to school this week - he had great fun and managed the trip to the toilets ok, spoke politely to the teacher, and screamed when we had to drag him away. I don't know if it's really registered with him it's different from nursery, but the emphasis to start with is very much on learning through play so maybe it won't be so different. He can't wait to start. Next week he goes back to try a school dinner. That'll be....interesting.

Also had a trip to the dentist this week. Not good news. Nothing like being told your preschooler needs fillings to ruin your day. Especially when you were busy being so proud of him for sitting quietly and letting her peer in his mouth. Stepped up our dental hygiene routine - twice a day now and Mummy or Daddy has to do it for him as well to make sure. Means I'm being better about cleaning my teeth too. Even bought some floss. No, I'm not sure who this person is either....

Just reread this Christmas story by some bloke - had forgotten I'd read it before but - ho boy. What is it with that man and trying to make his readers/viewers cry? And yet....nothing. Despite my son being four now, and this sort of thing usually gets to me. Maybe because I'm all cried out this week. Or maybe because it has a happy ending. I've had to stop reading the news because too often terrible things happen to young children and it just breaks my heart.

This is going nowhere really isn't it? Ought to go back to work. Maybe a trip to the shop for milk and chocolate. The rain is only a slightly torrential. And then maybe I'll get some work done.

No comments: